Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Fit to Play: Back in the Saddle

For the past blogs, I made sure I had something written so when it came time to post something new, I was prepared. This morning, you're getting me directly from the heart...I need a tooshy tune-up!

I did something yesterday I have avoided for over ten (10) years. I went for a bicycle ride. Avoid may be the wrong word. I didn't bicycle by intention. In 1986 and in 1994, I collided with a car while riding my bicycle. On both occasions, the driver of the vehicle failed to see me and turned in front of me, crossing my lane and too close for me to stop in advance. Without getting into further details, I felt blessed that I survived through both, the second relatively unscathed. However, I decided I didn't want to experience "third time's a charm," so I stayed off my bike.

Recently, I was reunited with an old work associate. Yesterday, she invited me on a bicycle ride and said, "Don't worry, there are no cars where we're riding." I decided to trust her (and she was mostly right - very few cars). To my amazement, we rode 30 miles! Out of the block, I rode 30 miles!

I accredit the physical capabilities that got me through those 30 miles to the love of play and dance. I do not participate in a regimented exercise program. I do not belong to a gym. I simply play and dance (which to me is play, too). Some source of play usually happens every other day for me; a walk, jumping on my pogoball, playing tag with the neighbor kids, dancing, hiking, creek swimming, stretching while watching "So You Think You Can Dance," and dancing again.

There is one confession, though. No other play affected my behind like the seat of my bike did!!! OUCH! It was great being "back in the saddle," and I'll be there again soon.

Play, love, dance, live, and do it all again!

Debra Seeck, Lifestyle Fitness and Dance Coach
www.mzjitterbug.com

No comments: